Proper residential construction is very important to home owners. Your home is often your biggest investment and engineering protects your investment by ensuring that your home is safe, efficient and built to latest building codes. Residential engineering designs can often be completed remotely, saving you time and money.
We support architects, builders, developers, real estate agents and home owners directly on a variety of projects including the following types of buildings:
- Custom Built Homes
- Luxury Custom Homes
- Modular Homes
- Sub-Division Production Homes
- Renovations and Additions
- Residential Complexes and Developments
Request a quoteor visit or Scope of Services page for more information – typical residential engineering services start with free consultation or site visit to assess your needs, discuss your project or issue, and provide you guidance on your project. After we’ve reviewed your specifics we’ll provide you a proposal of services for review.
- IEQ optimization
- Energy analysis, compliance, and reduction
- Heat Loss & Heat Gain Load Calculations
- Duct Design, Energy Recovery, and Permit Drawings
- Wood Fired / Dual Fuel Systems
- In-Floor Radiant Heating
- Hot Water Radiator Heating
- De-Humidification Systems for Indoor Pool
- Ground Source Heat Pumps (Geothermal)
- Snow Melt Systems
- Solar Thermal Design & Domestic Hot Water Heat Recovery
- Variable Refrigerant Volume, Heat Pumps, Split Systems
Our goal is to develop systems that will make you love your home and feel comfortable inside. We design systems that are cost effective both initially and over the life of the home, while reducing your energy consumption and carbon footprint. We also offer validation of systems to local clients to ensure they were installed and are operating per the design. Learn more at HOMEHVACDESIGN.COM.
- Residential wood construction design
- Unique situations (non-prescriptive)
- Footing sizing
- Retaining wall design
- Modification to existing structural systems
- Large spans and open concept floor spaces
Residential structures are typically designed and constructed using prescriptive design methods. These methods can only be used for prescriptive design conditions. Any deviation from the prescriptive conditions requires an engineered design. We always recommend a review of new construction designs to ensure they comply with building codes and fit within prescriptive design conditions. A review is typically inexpensive and can give you piece of mind in your investment. Modifications to existing structural systems should always involve an engineer. If you are not sure if you need an engineer, please contact us for a free consultation or speak with your local building inspector. We are here to help you through your project.
Insurance / Mortgage Reviews
- Technical guidance for lease agreements and reviews
- Structural inspection of home for mortgage / insurance approval (local only)
- Heating / cooling system inspection of home for mortgage / insurance approval (local only)
Banks and insurance companies sometimes will require that an engineer perform a review or inspection of a property prior to agreeing to provide a mortgage or insurance coverage. This limits overall risk for all parties involved. An engineering investigation is typically requested after a home inspection, if issues are noted. We can provide additional insight on potential structural and mechanical issues that a normal home inspection would not cover.
- Energy Evaluations
- Air-to-Air heat exchangers
- Solar hot water pre-heat systems
- Waste water energy recovery
- Condensing water heaters and combination boilers
- Geothermal design
Residential renewable energy, energy recovery, and micro-grids are becoming more desirable and cost effective with energy prices rising rapidly. We can select and specify renewable energy systems for your home and provide information on the payback time for the system. We use detailed life cycle cost analysis tailored specifically to your location and the equipment you want.